When you're shopping for automotive air filters, reviews and ratings can help you choose the product that is best for your car or truck. Do you need a custom filter or a universal fit filter? What about environmentally safe and recommended air filters? With so many options to choose from, here's a breakdown of what air filters made top lists.
Automotive Air Filters: Reviews and Ratings
When you're researching products like automotive air filters, reviews mean the most when they come from real consumers. The ratings and reviews from Auto Anything use information obtained from real people. Reviews are based on appearance, ease of installation, price, and quality, and products have an opportunity to receive up to four stars.
Custom Air Filters
Custom air filters are made specifically for the year, make, and model of your vehicle. Prices vary depending upon where you buy them. Here are some of the products customers liked best:
- K&N Filters - With a four star rating, K&N makes some of the best custom air filters today. They help free up airflow, which can improve horsepower and acceleration. These filters are also washable and reusable and can run up to 50,000 miles before a rinsing is needed. Legal in all 50 states, K&N air filters come with a ten-year, 100,000-mile warranty.
- Spectre Filters - Also custom made for your vehicle, approved for use in all 50 states, and known for boosting airflow, Spectre air filters can increase horsepower while keeping harmful particles out of your vehicle. Spectre also received a four star rating and they promise their filters can be cleaned and reused for years. They offer a lifetime warranty.
- Green Air Filters - If being environmentally friendly is important to you, Green Air Filters offers custom filters to fit your car perfectly. They come with airtight seals and help you save money at the gas pump by providing better fuel efficiency. They are made of tightly interwoven cotton and only need to be cleaned after 50,000 miles. Every Green Air Filter comes with a lifetime warranty. These air filters received a three star rating.
Universal Fit Air Filters
Universal fit air filters come in different sizes to fit almost any vehicle; here are some of the top consumer selections:
- K&N Filters - This company's universal round air filters come in seven, nine, 11, and 14 inches to fit any car. You can boost your engine performance, and these filters are made of long-lasting wire mesh. They are washable and reusable and come with a ten-year, 100,000-mile warranty. K&N received four stars for their universal fit air filters.
- Volant Filters - While on the pricey side, these air filters did receive three stars. They come in sizes from seven to nine inches and fit most automobiles. Volant filters claim to bring vigor and high-octane energy back to your car, but they only come with a one-year warranty for defects in material and workmanship. These filters are not reusable and must be replaced when worn out.
- Injen Filters - This universal fit filter is made for maximum performance and comes with a lifetime warranty. Another three star rated filter, this product and all of Injen's filters are washable and reusable. The urethane top and base help keep your engine cool. To obtain sizes, visit a parts store near you to find an Injen filter.
Tips on Air Filters
Consider your automobile when purchasing a new air filter, and read the owner's manual that came with your vehicle. Your owner's manual will tell you that while the vehicle is still covered under the manufacturer's warranty, the best air filter is a manufacturer air filter and not an aftermarket product.If you are a do-it-yourself mechanic and can troubleshoot car engine problems, it is easy to replace or wash and reuse an air filter. Any of the top picks here will fit your needs.
Expect franchised auto dealership repair centers to use only manufacturer air filters unless you ask for an aftermarket brand. Most auto dealerships will use K&N filters. The Spectre line of custom or universal fit filters listed here are not what you see advertised at NASCAR events; those are high-performance and not for most engines.
If the manufacturer warranty for your vehicle has expired, consider an aftermarket filter, as they will be less expensive than some manufacturer air filters.
Automotive air filters reviews come in all shapes and sizes, so to ensure that you purchase a quality product, go to your library and seek out reviews from Consumer Reports magazine. If you know a professional or do-it-yourself mechanic, it also helps to ask for their advice before you buy.