To make a poptop Sienna van, you take a run-of-the-mill minivan and convert it into something truly special. With a poptop you can tour the countryside in an entirely self-contained unit. This means that you don't have to stop at hotels and that you can sleep right in your van. This is a way for you to see the country in comfort and style without laying down big bucks for a full-sized RV. A converted Sienna also has the added benefit of getting better gas mileage than a more cumbersome RV. Converting a Sienna isn't the most difficult automotive task, but it does require a garage with a full complement of tools and some basic body shop know-how. If you lack any of these things, you should consider having the conversion done by qualified professionals.
Poptop Sienna Van Conversions
If you wish to have a poptop Sienna van, you won't find one at your local Toyota dealership. You need to either find one used through the classifieds or make your own. Making your own isn't hard for experienced mechanics, but those completely unfamiliar with bodywork should consider hiring a professional. Your Toyota dealer may have a recommendation for a van conversion specialist, or you can find one by asking around at your local car garage.
Choosing a Model
There are several models of Toyota Sienna. This means that you have several options when choosing a van to convert to a poptop. All of the vehicles in the Sienna line have the same gas mileage rating. There is, however, a difference of size. You should generally pick the largest van possible for a poptop conversion, as the space in your van can get used up quickly. This means that the Sienna SE, XLE, and Limited are the best options for making yourself a van to travel in.
Whether your perform the poptop conversion or pay someone else to do it, the procedure will be the same. Before you do anything, make sure to check with a reputable mechanic to see if a poptop conversion will affect the structural integrity of the vehicle. You may need to install additional supports if this is the case.
- Remove the rear seats and anything else that may be toward the back of the vehicle. Note that this does not refer to the middle row of seats, as you can convert this into another bed. You should, however, remove anything behind the middle seats such as cup holders and hooks for clothing.
- Remove the roof line. This gives you a place to install the poptop you purchase from a camping or automotive parts store. To perform this step, you'll need to know how to use an electric saw and where to make the proper cut so that the poptop will fit.
- Mount the poptop on the van. This is a three-step process that begins with the poptop's struts, continues with the installation of canvas, and ends with placing the outer fiberglass shell.
- Install your kitchen equipment. This can include a fridge, stove, and counter space. This goes in first. Make sure that you drill holes for drainage, electricity, and gas. If you don't have experience working with gas and electricity, hire a professional to help you with this step.
- Install your bed.
- Put in any storage space you wish to have in the poptop.
Once you have converted the Sienna, you can hit the road without having to worry about finding a hotel room or a restaurant. All you need is a place to park. You can load any necessary supplies into your van to go along for the ride with you.